Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Angels

Oasis and I have made it 558 to Tehachapi, California. I have been meaning to write another post for a while, but have either been too distracted in town by a hungry stomach, or, have not had access to a computer.
This first leg of our journey has been incredible. Highlights include seeing four rattlesnakes (we kept a safe distance), soaking our tired legs in deep creek hotsprings, located at mile 306, spending a day at the Saufley's and another unforgettable eveing at the Andersons, as well as hiking along the California Aquaduct at night with glow sticks.
This morning Adrianna (now known on the trail as Oasis) and I arrived in Tehachapi, California. With our minds set on a good meal, we managed to find an awesome diner that served us monster-sized omletes and a serving of homefries that might have given me a heart attack in another life.
Anyway, as we sat and scarfed down our breakfasts, I noticed an elderly woman looking at our soiled clothes and dirty faces. As I got up to use the restroom, she quickly handed me a 20 dollar bill and said "Please, please use this". I didn't accept her offer but explained to her that we were just fine...just a bit dirty from hiking. It was then that I was reminded of two things. What I realized first was just how dirty we both looked and how it might give people the impression that we have nothing. What I also realized, however, is just how generous and kind people have been on the trail as we have hiked.
Hikers like to call acts of kindness on the trail "trail magic" and the people who deliver these services "trail angels". I will give you a few examples of wonderful individuals who have supported us in this indeavor. Take, for example, Push and Unload, two individuals who parked by the trail to deliver hikers extra cliff bars, sanwiches, soda, cookies and a cold beer. Both Push and Unload had hiked the trail last year and been pleasantly surprised by the trail magic and thought they would return the favor. We then have Dr. Sole, a retired truck driver who set up a large tent along Highway 74, who after his son hiked the trail and complained of blisters, decided he would take it upon himself to learn everything he could about "hiker feet" so he could treat people's aches and pains along the trail. Dr.Sole spent more than 1/2 hour cleaning and treating my pathetically swollen and blistered feet. We then have Ziggy and The Bear, a couple who hosts through hikers in their backyard. There we were served hotdogs and salad and the largest bowl of icecream I have ever eaten in my life. Random people have offered us rides to and from the trail, have hosted us in their homes and have left ice-cold soda and beer in coolers along the trail.
Hiking provides much time for reflection. Walking over 558 miles and being blessed with such wonderful acts of kindness along has a way of restoring one's faith in humanity. It's amazing how just an ice-cold soda or a ride to a trail-head remind one that random acts of kindness happen all the time and make an incredible difference. So I want to conclude by saying thank-you to all the trail angels, and my incredible network of family and friends for all your support in helping us achieve this goal and enjoy this journey.
Best, Honeybear
If you want to send us something (a letter telling us how you are doing, peanut m n ms, candy, chocolate, tea) Our next reliable re-supply point will be in Tuolumne Meadows.
The address is:

Hold of PCT Hikers Lena Sessions
c/o General Delivery

Tuolumne Meadows
Yosemite NP, CA 95389

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you are experiencing some trail magic. Daviel and I are ready to sit by the trail in July for a couple of days and hand out treats and cold drinks to all of you wonderful thru hikers.
    It looks like you will be heading into the Sierra Mountains soon. This must be a very beautiful part of the PCT. I hope the trail will be relatively free of snow and ice.
    Lots of Love from all of us in Eugene

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mom! I really really hope that you and Daviel come out to the trail! I think you would really enjoy meeting all the other hikers and they would love meeting you and Daviel! Can't wait!

      Delete